Thursday 10 November 2011

Gear lever surround

A friend had made me a surround using part of an RJT pipe fitting welded to a disc of 3mm stainless (cheers James!). When I offered it up to the tunnel area, I could see that part of the surround would need to be cut away to fit within the hockey trim that runs down each side of the tunnel.

The edges of the disc were marked up and cut away and then the edges of the fitting were chamfered. I drilled four holes so that the surround can be attached to the tunnel top.


The gear lever gaiter has an elasticated skirt so this just clips around the edge of the RJT part of the surround. I also got hold of a pool ball to use as the gear knob, it not a perfect colour match buts its close enough!


I've also ordered another surround and gaiter to use for the handbrake and hoping these arrive for the weekend.

The indicator stalk I was having trouble with was taken apart earlier this week and the contacts inside were given a good clean. These were found to be pretty gunky which, considering the stalk is 20 years old, was to be expected. However, after re-assembly the relay clicking issue had gone - phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment