Saturday 13 March 2010

New toy!

The Clarke 160TM Mig welder arrived this week and I collected a bottle of 95/5% Argon/CO2 mix gas from IBweld in North Walsham along with a 5kg spool of 0.8mm wire and some spare tips and shrouds. They offer a pretty good deal on the gas as there is no rental fee but instead a one-off deposit for the bottle + extra for the gas itself. I also purchased an auto-darkening visor to replace my old flip-down visor.


This afternoon, I've set up the wire feed speed to achieve a smooth bead of weld as best I can, results below.

The next job will be to cut some box section to mock up the steering mod bracket. I'm still yet to purchase the rose joint and extra UJ so this will be done this week hopefully.

Also today, I've installed two 5ft flourescent tubes in the garage to replace the two standard bulbs as the light these gave off was pretty awful!

The work done on the car this week is to bolt on a large P-clip to support the clutch cable. I've fitted a spacer I had made up to fit the 6 groove pulley to the daihatsu alternator. I've started fettling the nose cone so that it clears the lower wishbones. Now I can start seeing how much room there is for the radiator in relation to the nose cone.

Thinking far ahead of this, I'm planning to order an inlet manifold for the GSXR600 throttle bodies from Bogg Bros. I can then link this up to the accelerator pedal and start thinking about putting the side panels back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment