Sunday 7 March 2010

Engine out again

The engine came out again today so I could finish off the fuel and brake lines. The brake line is now routed over the top of the gearbox mount and covered with some split conduit.


The fuel lines finish just below where the battery tray will sit. I'll probably solder an olive onto the end of both pipes when it comes to attaching the fuel hose.

I also bought another silvertop zetec engine for £70 this weekend and collected it yesterday. My first engine came pretty much bare, just head and block whereas the new one has all ancillaries, wiring and the 6 groove pulley I need for the alternator. It probably works out cheaper to buy the complete lump rather than buying individal bits plus, if the first engine goes bang then I have a spare! The engine number starts with a VC which makes it a 1997 whereas the zetec I'm putting in the car was made in october 1994 which means I don't need a catalytic converter to get through the emissions part of the IVA test.

Also purchased this week is a Clarke 160TM mig welder which has yet to arrive. I've bought this in order to weld a bracket to the chassis for the steering modification to clear the oil filter. I've picked up some off cuts of box section and some 2mm & 3mm plate to make the bracket and I'll need to source a rose joint and a second UJ.

I started looking at the nose cone this week and found that it will need some dremel action to fit round the lower wishbone brackets at the front. I've seen images on locostbuilders where nosecones have been attached with hinges on the bottom edge which is a good idea so I'll do the same.


I've bought a piece of 90 degree silocone hose to fit to the bottom of the polo radiator which will help me see how much room is needed between the rad and the chassis with the hose in place. I can then finalise the positions of the brackets to mount the rad plus fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment