Wednesday 15 July 2009

A little bit of brakes....

Yesterday, I took the rear hubs into work and vapour blasted them. I think they've cleaned up pretty well, ignoring my dirty finger prints.


Then I set to work removing the gearbox mount from the sierra cross member. Although I'd ground the rivet heads off, the rivet bodies required drilling through before they would losen and eventually be removed.
I then gave the brake shoe adjusters a going over with a wire brush then a coat of jenolite. I'd not used this Jenolite stuff before but they look cleaner now than when I started.


I'd made few purchases on ebay this week, some of which have started to arrive:
  • 8mm Kunifer to use for fuel pipe
  • some 6mm I/D split conduit for protecting brake pipes
  • mini pipe cutter
  • spiral wrap
  • sticky backed foam to use when mounting the fuel tank
Still on the shopping list is some fuel hose. I've also started to think about a fuel pump and quinton hazel part QFP603 seems to have a varied application and oftens turn up when I'm searching for info. I've also seen recommendations for using the fuel pump from a cavalier SRI which ties in with the QH part number.

Tonight I connected the rear flexi hoses to the rear wheel cylinders via a short piece of copper brake pipe on each side. These were mounted via an aluminium bracket I'd made using metal from the scrap bin at work. The brackets were riveted to the rear hub carriers

I also matched my existing record of snapping two drill bits in one evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment